Sunday 27 September 2015

Altered Mixed Media Printer’s Tray: “The Witch’s Cupboard”

I have a bizarrely large collection of glass bottles stacking up and mostly I’ve collected them ‘just in case’.  I’ve been inspired by the different spooky/gothic assemblages popping up but it was Neil Burley’s “The Apothecary” that really pushed me into making this.  Unfortunately – I haven’t picked up any printer’s trays along my travels.  Fortunately I recently discovered foam core board and have a new sharp scalpel! 

WP_20150927_19_43_23_Pro

The pictures below show my progress which surprisingly only took a few days in all

WP_20150921_21_43_50_ProN.B. I find my hot glue gun to be the best for foam board and PVA was used for the papers

  1. I knew the space that I wanted the tray to fit (a shelf inside a glass wall unit of mine) so I measured for the back panel and cut this from foam board.  Let’s call these measurements Width x Height
  2. Using my largest bottle I measured the bottom to work out how deep I wanted to cut the sides.  Let’s call this Depth.  The top and bottom pieces were cut exactly to W x D.
  3. The width of the foam board = 5mm which is important to know.  The left and right sides were cut to exactly (H-5mm) x D.WP_20150921_22_33_51_Pro
  4. Using the rest of the bottles to gauge their height I measured as I went and cut out the inside walls.  I didn’t waste time making plans or making it perfect as I wanted it to look hand made in mass like the old printer’s trays.
  5. painted in three stages as follows: – Acrylic paint mixed from 1:1:1 Pebeo Brown Ochre, Docraft Metallic Bronze Crafter’s Acrylic and Pebeo Bindex Brilliant (this is a bulking agent for acrylic paint to make your colour go further) and let dry.  Then, I painted on Americana Weathered Wood which is a crackling medium.  Finally once that layer was dried I covered in a single coat of Docraft metallic black which crackled away just like weathered wood as it dried.

    WP_20150926_13_15_55_Pro

  6. The rest of the decoration included Tim Holtz Ephermera, some black cobweb decoupage papers that I picked up in Hobbycraft, Time Holtz idea-ology from my stash and Pebeo Empire Gold gilding wax.  The ephemera pieces were inked with Vintage Photo and Black Soot distress inks.

WP_20150927_19_30_02_Pro

1 comment:

  1. This is fab! I have always wanted to make one of these but never get time !

    ReplyDelete